Friday, July 24, 2009

What was I thinking????


I have come to the conclusion that a person should learn from the past & that once in a lifetime experiences should only be endured once in a lifetime. That isn't to say that I will take my own advice and never do this again, I'm just saying that it would be in my best interest.
As a Varsity group this year we planned a 50-mile backpacking trip through the Sawtooth National Forest in Central Idaho. I came back with a few new insights. 1)-50 miles is a lot further than one thinks it is. 2)- 60 lbs. might not seem like a great deal of weight when you are carrying it from the house to the truck, but 13 miles down the trail you begin to consider every item that's bearing down on you back. 3)- While walking 50 miles you are left with a great deal of time to consider what's in your backpack, why you aren't in better shape, why you wanted to walk in a 50 mile circle, & who ever came up with the idea of backpacking anyway. 4)- When you stop thinking about how bad your feet and you back hurt you will be amazed at how beautiful the area is that you are traveling though and wonder why you have never done this before.
I really did have a good time. The temperatures were a bit cold for some of the group, but perfect for me. I like weather a bit cooler. It did hail on us a couple of days, but once again I have come to expect snow and hail on any scouting trips I take during the summer. The other that I went with were not used to such fortune. We made the full 50-mile loop even though the forest service did not recommend or even feel that it was possible to do so. Some of the snowy passes were pretty trecherous and they might have had a good point. The mountain peaks & lakes were amazing, some of the most beautiful places that I have ever been. Hopefully I will have the opportunity to take Natalie & others part way in on this trail. I am not sure that I am up for the full thing for quite some time. I do recommend that everyone should try and do a full 50-miler in their life. It is quite an accomplishment.

No comments: